Monday 20 April 2015

When His way isn't my way....

It's been a journey this weekend. A journey of moving from the gut-wrenching disappointment of Thursday, through the disbelief, through the sadness about leaving our lovely friends, through the questions and the uncertainties.

It's only a School placement. But somehow its knocked me for six.

This wasn't the plan God. When I said I wanted you to have your way... what I really meant was "Can your way be my way please?"


And so it's meant a lot of soul-searching... a lot of questioning... and as always, the Lord has shown that his ways are not my ways, but that he has a bigger plan and a bigger purpose and is "bringing all things together for the good of those who love him"

On Friday morning, when I woke up, I was overwhelmed by a sense of fear and frustration... anger at the unfairness of it all... and just sadness. Sadness that Ava would have to leave her little posse of school friends, sadness that I will have to leave a lovely group of Mums at the school gate who have become real friends these past 8 months. And somehow pouring all that pent-up emotion out on the blog helped. And then I spent a long time pouring it all out at God. There are perks to waking up at 4.30am...

Could this really be God's plan?

And then things started happening. Too many coincidences. Too many little snippets of information filing through that slowly awoke me to the fact that perhaps God was moving a lot more pawns on his giant chess board than just ours.

That perhaps Ava being placed in this school was all part of his masterplan; that perhaps this school where I didn't want to be is exactly the place where He wants us to be.

And then I got a lovely message from one of my friends on the school gate... reading it broke my heart because I realised again how much I will miss that place, but also made me laugh out loud. She wrote "I too believe that nothing happens accidentally. A bit of me feels that although you didn't pray for the choice you were given... perhaps they were praying for you?"

OK God... I get the picture.

And then Sunday happened. And as I sat in church, it was as though our Pastor was talking straight at us...

"Has there been a time this week you have resented a situation you have been placed in, that it seems has worked out for everyone else?" Hmmm... try being the only member of the class to not get in?

"Has God answered a prayer you prayed, and yet you haven't thanked him because you didn't like the answer?" How about... God, please let Ava get in to the school that you can best use us as a family... oh no, wait God... that wasn't quite what I had in mind when I prayer that prayer...

"This week, you may be faced with a choice... and you know what he wants you to do... will you choose his way? The way of wisdom? The way of blessing? Or will you choose your own path and follow what YOU want for your life?"

Oh man. I sat in stunned silence afterwards...

We spoke a little later. We have decided not to appeal. There have been too many little "coincidences" this weekend, many of which I cannot specifically state on the blog, but which have left me in no doubt that this is, it seems, exactly what God has planned for us.

And slowly, gradually, I'm starting to feel a little bit excited about that.

Because amidst the fear of starting all over again, the sadness at leaving precious friends, the uncertainty of what the future holds, there is peace and certainty in one thing.

We serve a God who is faithful, holds all this in his hands, and has called us, and our little Ava to this particular school.

So however scary it feels, I can say with increasing trust, there is no other school we would rather be in.

Because bang in the middle of God's will? That's right where we want to be...

Thank you again to all of you who have been so unbelievably supportive this weekend.... thank you for your comments, messages, texts, virtual hugs and general well-wishes. We thank God for each and every one of you.

15 comments:

  1. with Eloise I was upset at her having to leave her nursery friends she'd been with for 18 months, but I learnt children are very resilient, she was much less effected than me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly helpful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt exactly the same way about the builders I I trusted to do our work. That sermon moved me as well to let go of the anger and except this is all part of his plan. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now excited for you! The good word will go far. You and the family shine like bright stars and people will be intregued as to why #believe

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an encouraging post! I love how God speaks personally and powerfully bringing conviction and challenge through his word and his people - when these key life changing crossroads moments have happened to me and I have taken the path that wasn't my preferred choice, I found God's plan to be so much bigger, better and thrilling than my small plans could have foreseen - I'm excited to see how God will use you and Ava for his glory and for the extension of his kingdom x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your heart - may you know the deep joy that comes from walking in the centre of God's will, and may you be thrilled & amazed at how He will use you & little Ava in this school xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, your strength through all this is humbling and inspirational! I really believe that when Ava begins and things feel a little easier and when you both make good friends.....you'll be able to share on here and it will be a blessing to others. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this, that really helps me too. We, too, have been struggling with school placement, having got our 6th choice - the only school on our list of great schools that I was really hoping he wouldn't have to go to. We've been going back and forth on whether to go with it and be happy or to hope the waiting lists (for ANY of all those other schools) come up trumps, wondering if there is ground for appeal etc. But strangely, our 6th choice turns out to be the Boy's first choice. "Yes," he said happily. "That was the school I imagined going to." Maybe, we are wondering, he has a life of his own, and God has a plan for him that he is seeing snippets of but we are not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this, that really helps me too. We, too, have been struggling with school placement, having got our 6th choice - the only school on our list of great schools that I was really hoping he wouldn't have to go to. We've been going back and forth on whether to go with it and be happy or to hope the waiting lists (for ANY of all those other schools) come up trumps, wondering if there is ground for appeal etc. But strangely, our 6th choice turns out to be the Boy's first choice. "Yes," he said happily. "That was the school I imagined going to." Maybe, we are wondering, he has a life of his own, and God has a plan for him that he is seeing snippets of but we are not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it's the school I think it is then I'm very glad the Lord has placed your family there for his glory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a delight to read, Claire. Your trust is lovely to see. I am sure that in time, be it 6 months or 10 years, you will look back at this and see God working in wonderful, glorious ways. Our God is full of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh Claire, you're amazing. That is all. x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I once heard a wonderful sermon that started "God is not Santa Claus!" - he has plans for us that definitely don't look like wish list fulfilment however hard that might be to bear. And while it will be hard for Ava to leave her nursery friends she won't be the only one - Kitty's been in a private nursery since she was tiny because I've been working and when she goes to school she will (fingers crossed) know just one girl in a class of 30 - but they'll all adapt and hopefully school will be a happy place for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Claire I have been thinking about you a lot since we both got the news. I am so glad that you are feeling a lot more positive about it all. Ava will be amazing, I just know she will. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an inspiring post Claire. It's good to be reminded that God does have such a bigger plan that we can't even really begin to imagine it. I'm actually quite excited for you when reading this, it's a new chapter for you all and God is with you every step of the way xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!