Saturday 8 March 2014

Saturday Songs: Restless

"You have made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find you"
- St Augustine -

On Thursday night, I went to an evening at Church where we were talking about sharing our faith with those around us. We were challenged to be able to share our testimony, our story of how we came to faith, in a really succinct, accessible way. My lovely friend, who has only been a Christian for a short time, but who is a massive encouragement to me, was sharing how she had found a particular illustration really helpful when she was asking big questions about Christianity...

“There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person, and it can never be filled by any created thing. It can only be filled by God, made known through Jesus Christ.”
- Blaise Pascal, Pensees

Have you ever considered that perhaps, just perhaps, the fact that we can have everything, and yet still feel something is missing tells us that we were made for more?

This song was shared by a friend of mine last night, and it kind of stuck.

I hope its a blessing...




"Restless"
-Audrey Assad-

You dwell in the songs that we are singing,
Rising to the Heavens, rising to Your heart, Your heart.
Our praises filling up the spaces
In between our frailty and everything You are
You are the keeper of my heart

And I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
I am restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
Oh God, I wanna rest in You


Oh, speak now for my soul is listening
Say that You have saved me, whisper in the dark, the dark.
'Cause I know You're more than my salvation
Without you I am hopeless, tell me who You are
You are the keeper of my heart
You are the keeper of my heart

And I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
I am restless, I'm restless

'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You, Oh
I wanna rest in You

Still my heart, hold me close
Let me hear, a still small voice
Let it grow, let it rise
Into a shout, into a cry

Still my heart, hold me close
Let me hear, a still small voice
Let it grow, let it rise
Into a shout, into a cry

And I am restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, let me rest in You
And I am restless, so restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You, Oh God
Let me rest in You.

5 comments:

  1. This is really well written and very thought provoking Claire. I think as Christians we should always be ready and willing to share our journey to faith and any given opportunity. I find it very challenging and that has got me back to thinking how important it is to be ready....beautiful song :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that St Augustine quote at the top, I'll stay restless until I am fully immersed in him. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how music can say so much. (Being a musician myself, I may be biased!). I think your friend is exactly right but I have never thought of it like that. Thank you for opening my eyes to ears to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful song Claire thank you for sharing it. It was great to hear yours and Daves testimony, it was so helpful to me. Praise God for you both xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!