Wednesday 19 June 2013

Bestemor is here!

We will have a very excited one year old this morning... when she wakes up, she will discover her Bestemor is back from Norway. I imagine there'll be a fair bit of screeching and squealing... on both sides!

One of my FAVOURITE things that Magni has passed on to me is her Norwegian Apple Cake... (the other is the Norwegian waffles we made for Father's Day). Ava and I love to whip up an apple cake now and again... it is yum and it is SO easy. It's one of those recipes you can pretty much always throw together, even if you weren't planning on baking - there are no weird or wonderful ingredients!

In the nightmare of the last month, while we were in hospital with Heidi, we had a lovely surprise. It was a little glimmer of sunshine in the midst of some very dark days. House of Smith's, which is a huge US home decor blog, posted Magni's very own Norwegian Apple Cake recipe, after I had sent it in as part of a competition.

You can read the full post here, and if you fancy trying your hand at it... Cason and Shelley have posted the whole recipe and a step by step guide on how to make it (they used my instructions and recipe and had a go themselves)

In the meantime, here's some pics of my lovely big girl making it herself!

Mixing it up!
Ready for the oven!
Taste test!
YUM!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Claire, I hope all is well and ok and am glad to hear that Heidi seems to be on the mend
    I was keen to try the apple cake in your blog. I noticed it says one stick of margerine. Do you happen to know the weight conversion or is it like the whole block (250g)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 oz marg, 5 oz caster sugar, 2 eggs, 5 oz plain flour, 2tsp baking powder, 2 golden delicious apples, sugar and cinnamon to taste... happy baking!! I think Cason and Shelley transferred everything to American measurements, so thought I'd give you all the ingredients in good old British pounds and ounces! Hope you are well. Would love to hear how you get on with it!x

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious, will have to give it a try. Am always looking for alternatives to the plain old sponge cake!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!