Wednesday 12 December 2012

Countdown to Christmas 8: Biscuits galore!

After my baking post, I had a couple of requests for more yummy German/Austrian Christmas biscuits, so I thought I'd give you a sneaky insight into my favourite page of my recipe book...


It's FULL of yummy Christmas recipes that I nabbed when I lived out in Austria a few years ago...

So here are some more recipes for you to add to your Christmas Bake-book! I'm going to hold back on the Lebkuchen (Gingerbread) as my friend Lisa and I are hoping to create some gingerbread houses this week, and they'll go on the blog next week! Recipe to follow!!

In the meantime... here are some recipes for you to get your teeth into - quite literally!!

Pic courtesy of Elana's Pantry
Coconut Macaroons
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
200g sugar
300g coconut

Add the salt to the egg whites and then beat until stiff (hold bowl upside down without the mix dropping - dangerous I know, but its a good test, and ensures you are pretty sure its stiff enough before you test it!). Slowly beat in the sugar a little at a time. Stir in the coconut carefully. Spoon teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto a lined baking tray. Bake for approx. 20 minutes at 170 degrees until light brown. 

Hausfreunde
3 eggs
140g sugar
8g vanilla sugar/1tsp vanilla essence
100g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g ground hazelnuts
100g raisins  

Beat the eggs until light and fluffy, gradually add the sugar and vanilla sugar until the mixture is creamy. Sieve the flour and baking powder over the mixture and stir in. Stir in the nuts and raisins. Spread the mixture onto a greased baking tray. Bake for approx. 20 mins at 160 degrees. Cut into cubes or strips while its still hot.

Pic courtesy of Ichkoche
Vanillakipferln (these are my ABSOLUTE favourites!)
270g flour
300g butter
90g icing sugar
150g ground hazelnuts
icing sugar and vanilla sugar for coating 

Rub the butter into the flour. Mix in the nuts and icing sugar and form the mass into a large ball. Leave the ball in the fridge for at least two hours. Break off parts of the dough and roll into long roll strips about 1cm in diameter. Cut into pieces and fold into crescent shapes. Bake for around 20-25 minutes at 160 degrees in a preheated oven. When they have cooled, sprinkle over them a mixture of icing sugar and vanilla sugar to flavour. Then devour!

Sauerrahmkekse
300g flour
1tsp baking powder
150g sugar
pinch of salt
nutmeg
1 egg yolk
125g butter
3 spoons sour cream
8g Vanilla sugar/1 tsp vanilla essence

Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the other dry ingredients. Add the sour cream and egg yolks and knead the mixture together until a ball forms. Leave in the fridge to rest for a couple of hours.
Once removed from the fridge, roll out the dough and, using biscuit cutters, cut out the desired shape. Brush with egg yolk/milk and sprinkle with rock sugar before placing in the oven for approximately 18 minutes at 180 degrees until golden brown.    

Well, hopefully that's enough for you to be getting on with! Let me know which are the favourite! I might just have to make some Vanillekipferln myself know - they are definitely my favourites!!

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!